Sunday 8 December 2013

Video Game Review: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. (Part 1/3)


I've heard every single phrase ever heard thrown at this game. Every single insult or piece of praise ever written has been directed, at some point, towards this game.

Skyrim is the fifteenth installment (Counting phone games and Knights of The Nine/Shivering Isles) of the Elder Scrolls series. But V is a lot catchier than XV, so it's the fifth.

It was released in 2011 and had it's largest expansion slightly over a year ago. The Legendary edition, including all the expansion packs, was released earlier this year in June.

It's an action-adventure RPG by Bethesda Studios which is fronted by Todd Howard who looks like that kid who comes over to your house and will always use your favourite controller instead of the crappy one.


I mean, I don't care if he makes a game that's sold 7 million copies, he just looks like that kind of kid. Or the kid that always went on camping trips with his family and told you stories about how they got attacked by a bear even though you know that's totally bullshit. I honestly think this is the face of one of THOSE kids.

So Skyrim is an action-adventure RPG, a term I will not stop using solely because I believe all the best games ARE action-adventure RPG's. I picked it back up again a couple of hours ago after a break of four months so I thought "Well, I might as well review this one I guess." Gotta do it some time or another.

Whilst the game hasn't aged perfectly in the past few year:
- The American actors trying out horrible strained Scandinavian accents.
- The wall textures that look like brown-grey jell-o.
-The draw distance makes everything over five miles away look as if it's melting.

It's still an incredibly fun game. To the point where it's just instinctual after the bajillionth playthrough.

This is the bit with the spiders. This bit coming up is the bit with the bear, there's the cart with the gold coin purse underneath the wine bottles. This is the cave with the miner over there with the journal next to him, there are enemies over there, there and one down there.

I could play this with my eyes shut I'm so familiar with it.

Since Patch 1.9 it now also has a Legendary mode in which you can raise a skill to 100 points, reset it and gain back all the perk points you spent on the skill tree and then continue from the bottom.

It effectively makes levelling endless.

If you want every perk in the game, you have to reach around Level 250. Don't ask me how I know that.

It'd be nice to see a Prestige system put into the actual game though. Some way to send items/gold between characters or whatnot. That's be pretty cool. One thing I should also mention about Skyrim are the mods which allow you to do everything from changing your character appearance to a Lego Bionicle......


To looking stunning. This one has over 100 graphical enchancement modifications.




Pretty stuff. There are also little things in the game that weren't in there at launch or in previous titles such as horse combat. I don't know why it's the little things that get me hooked, but they always do. 


I've started replaying due to my sadness at the fact that www.thesurvivor2299.com was an elaborate hoax and no Fallout 4 announcement has been made yet. Shame that Bethesda took so long to debunk it.

Oh well. 

I'll be doing some more Skyrim throughout the week so just keep popping back for the occasional update.







No comments:

Post a Comment